Thursday, February 26, 2015

From One Second to the Next




I still see a lot of kids texting and driving still these days as I travel about. In my work in schools, I kick up conversations on occasion with kids on the topic. I hear a lot of stories from kids about close calls they've had personally and with friends. Many share stories with me about how their parents text and drive.

Yup. I also see a lot of adults texting and driving too out and about. Likely you do as well. I've personally almost been hit by a few.

The video above, a documentary called From One Second to the Next was played recently at Essex High School and featured in the Colchester Sun community paper, both in Vermont. The short film tells us a series of heartbreaking stories about lives that have been forever changed by the consequences of texting while you're at the wheel.

Real stories that address statements or thoughts like:

"It'll never happen to me."

"It'll only take a second."

"I do it all the time, I'll be fine."

"I need to answer this right now."

Let's face it… for some, laws prohibiting texting and driving won't be enough to curb some peoples impulses to do so. Nor will tragic stores others tell. For some it'll unfortunately take a gut wrenching close call or sadly something very tragic to change their mind. That's why it'll take a discussion and plenty of reminders. Week after week, month after month, year after year… with kids and adults.

How frequently or infrequently you text and drive isn't the issue. All it takes is 'once.'

Please share the video above and encourage people to take the 'It Can Wait' pledge with loved ones, in your homes, classes, schools, and communities.

My thanks to the folks in the video who decided to turn their tragedies into something we can learn from, and to the director Werner Herzog. Thanks to the folks at Essex High School for discussing this with students again, and to the Colchester Sun newspaper for their story.

Keep trying to change things for the better.

#x
#itCanWait
#edchat
#digitalcitizenship
#vted