Friday, October 24, 2014

London… a quick update

I've covered some territory in London thus far in 36 hours.

Parliament and Big Ben…
Buckingham Palace…
Westminster Abbey…
Red Dragon Pub
London Eye…

Walking many miles felt great after getting off the plane and all the seat based work I did over the few days leading up to the trip.

I'll toss in some thoughts on these places later, but I keep laughing at one quote I heard about Winston Churchill on why he refused to be buried at Westminster Abbey… "too many people there I won't get along with."

The Abbey, like Notre Dame in Paris, is an architectural marvel. Especially the ceiling, which gets more elaborate as you walk toward the top section of the floor plan. At @garystager 's recommendation I took a London Walks guided tour. Much cheaper to get into the Abbey this way, and humorous stories. 

Seeing the burial place of George Frederic Handel and Charles Dickens was quite cool as well… among many others.

Martin Luther King is recognized amongst others on the front facade… another one of the many things about the Abbey I didn't know. Well worth the trip.

Ravensbourne...
#MozFest (that's a link to the Twitter search for the conf hashtag, and here's one to the conf website) 's out at Ravensbourne by the O2. Modern, spacious, and loaded with collaborative workspace.

Mozilla is putting on quite a show. 

I've already met so many people doing some great work. It's a thrill to be here and take part in it all.

The next few days are filled with work sessions and mashing ideas. I like the conference format here… very organic and people are encouraged to bounce around a lot. 

One local gave me a great tip for dinner, Bermondsey St for dinner. I chose one of their picks for Italian food called Zucca… and it was absolutely delicious, and sans extravagant prices. There were a lot of restaurants on the street there… tempting to go back and try another.

Night time at the London Eye...
London by night is a spectacle. I walked up to the eye after catching a cab...

… and I had an amazing chat with a cab driver about their job, the 35 mile expanse of London, and their approach to it all. I'll write more on that too later as well ; )

Off to bed. Early day tomorrow and lots of of creative ideas to explore.

We win...